Why Student- Led Conferences (for middle and high school students)
Student-led conferences empower students to take an active, engaged role in their learning. We want students to understand that
learning is purposeful and contextual. “Students should be helped to see the purpose in what they are asked to learn. Learning should be framed by relevant questions, meaningful challenges, and authentic applications” ― Jay McTighe and Grant Wiggins,
feedback enhances learning and performances, “We do not learn from experience... we learn from reflecting on experience.” ― John Dewey, and
learning is social, “Student- led conferences provide opportunities for interactive learning in a supportive environment”. - Jay McTighe and Grant Wiggins.
1. All teachers will be in their regular classrooms for conferences.
2. In order to avoid conflicts, appointments should be made through the secretary’s Office. Please email Ms. Ching at email@example.com before Wednesday, October 18, 2017.
3. There are both regular and late buses on conference day.
4. You may take your child home after the conference.
5. You do not have to wait until conference days to meet teachers. You may call for an appointment at any time in the year.
Middle and High School
6. All middle and high school students will participate in the student-led conferences. Students whose parents are not attending will be assigned a time to meet with their homeroom teacher.
7. Appointments are for 15 minutes.
8. Students will be supervised in the B building from 12:00 - 4:00 p.m.
9. After your conference, please pick up your child and sign out with the supervising teachers in the ES library.