Dear AST Family and Friends,
The campus will not reopen until Tuesday, February 25, 2020.
As we prepare for our return to campus on February 25, we need to gather some information from all of our families related to their travel plans and health over the last two weeks and looking forward to it. To make gathering that information as easy as possible, we have created a survey using Survey Monkey. We need the survey completed for each household and students will not be permitted to return until the survey is completed.
Mandatory Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3YXWB29
We would also like to remind everyone of some of the precautions and expectations that will be in place as we remain as vigilant as possible about the safety of our children.
- Any student experiencing a fever greater than 37.5 should remain at home for 24 hours. We encourage parents to check the temperature before coming to school to avoid having students turned away at the bus or school.
- Any student experiencing moderate to severe cold or flu symptoms should remain at home.
- Any student experiencing minor cold or flu symptoms must wear a mask on the bus and at school. These students should provide their own masks.
- Please try to keep extra medical masks in each student’s backpack.
Bus and Windows Procedure
- All students should wear a mask while on the bus.
- As much as we are able, windows on the buses will remain open.
- As much as we are able, windows in classrooms will remain open. (We will increase our normal AQI threshold to 150 for the foreseeable future. If the air quality exceeds 150 AQI, we will close windows and keep students inside during recess.)
Student Drop Off
- Student dropoff will only be outside of the Lincoln Activity Center (LAC) up until 8:05 am. Late arrival students (after 8:05) may be dropped off at the main gate.
- Parents must remain in their vehicles and will not be permitted to enter the campus without a prearranged appointment.
- All students' temperatures will be checked at drop off.
- All students will be required to sanitize their hands at drop off.
- Student pickup will only be outside of the Lincoln Activity Center (LAC) beginning at 3:30 pm.
- Parents should remain in their vehicles and will be greeted by faculty or staff members.
After School Activities
- All after school activities are currently postponed.
- We have not yet determined when and how these after school programs will be restored.
- The athletic tournaments scheduled up through March 14 have all been postponed or canceled.
- We will hold instructional AP work sessions on March 7 and March 14. We will hold AP practice exam sessions on April 11, April 18, and April 25. These work sessions will be strongly recommended, but not required. An exact schedule of which AP courses will meet on which days is currently being developed.
- We are considering the use of April 6 for school purposes. All other dates in Spring Break will not be changed.
Refunds Related to School Lunch, Busing, and After School Activities
- It is our intention to provide refunds related to these postponed services appropriate to the cancellations. We are waiting until we fully return and finalize any potential makeup schedules to begin the processing of this information.
Donations are being accepted for specific supplies
- It is very challenging to get certain supplies right now in Taiwan. If you have extra medical masks, alcohol, or a connection to a supplier with stock available, we would appreciate the donation or the connection. While we are prepared in the short term, we are concerned if procedures are required to tighten over the coming months. As always, we are planning for the worst and hoping for the best.
Future Travel Plans
- If you are planning to travel outside of Taiwan (especially to countries affected by the Coronavirus), please consider adjusting those plans. There are currently mandatory quarantines for people traveling to or through certain countries. This list changes regularly. If you leave Taiwan, you may find yourself in quarantine at your destination country and then again in quarantine on return to Taiwan. Once we are back in regular session, we will not expect teachers to provide full online lessons for students under quarantine--that expectation would be unreasonable. Therefore, it is important that families minimize their risk of being placed in quarantine.