Dear Members of the AST Community,
As we consider our return date, we have maintained these priorities in our decision-making process in this order:
- We maintain the safety of our students and our community.
- We maximize student learning while not neglecting safety.
- We support those students needing to be successful on external assessments (AP).
Throughout our consideration, we have worked closely with health professionals, other international schools, and the Ministry of Education (MOE). Based on our research and collaboration, we see the wisdom in following the MOE’s guideline of postponing the return to campus until February 25, 2020. This date was carefully selected to follow two critical checkpoints in monitoring the virus’s progress in Taiwan.
The campus will not reopen until Tuesday, February 25, 2020.
During this time, we will continue to utilize online learning to keep our children moving forward in their education. We have updated our AST Online Learning Expectations for Students to help us all to address some challenges that have come up in our first week of this experience. Parents and students should go through these expectations together to ensure that we all have a shared understanding of those expectations.
Additionally, we are making a series of adjustments to our school calendar so that we can ensure student safety and keep a focus on academic achievement.
- The International Carnival scheduled for 2/28 is indefinitely postponed. 2/28 is now a regular academic day.
- We are adding additional days that will be specifically for AP courses. An exact schedule will be coming later, but those days to be included so far are:
- Saturday, 3/7
- Saturday, 3/14
- Monday, 4/6 - This date is being considered for conversion into a full school day.
- Saturday, 4/11
- Saturday, 4/18
- Saturday, 4/25
- The half days on 4/10 and 5/1 will be full school days.
- Some scheduled events have been indefinitely postponed and we will make efforts to reschedule or rework these events.
- MS / HS STEM Fair
- ES STEM Fair
- The AST Summer Camp this year has been canceled.
- As of right now, TAIMUN remains unaffected, but its viability is still being analyzed.
Meanwhile, the preparations for returning to campus are ongoing. We have prepared alcohol-based sanitizer and will be using thermometers to check temperatures of all students getting on to a school bus or coming to campus. We have tightened our cleaning procedures to ensure that the spread of cold and flu viruses are kept to a minimum. We have also redefined and restricted our pick-up and drop-off procedures for students that get to and leave from campus in this way. We will share more information as our return date gets closer in regard to this updated pick-up and drop-off procedures.
Please stay safe by avoiding any large group settings, practicing good handwashing, and avoiding others if you have any cold or flu symptoms.
Anthony & Annie