Dear AST Family and Friends,

We wanted to take a moment and update you regarding our monitoring of the coronavirus outbreak and its potential impact on our school. We are following the lead of the Taiwanese government, the Center for Disease Control, and the Taiwan international school community in considering our responses. We want to assure you that the safety of our children is the highest priority in our decision making.

The first thing that we are asking, in alignment with government recommendations, is that any student who traveled to mainland China during the Chinese New Year break should self-quarantine for 14 days.

Further, we are considering postponing the return to school from vacation in one of two ways. The first option is to postpone the return to school and add school days to the end of the school year. This is the approach currently being taken by Taipei American School. This approach comes with the challenge of, what if things get worse in Taiwan before they get better? It also does not help with lost time leading toward AP exams. The second option is to move classes to online equivalencies for the time being. We do have the structures in place to continue student learning in this way given the digital tools that we use as a school. This is the approach currently being taken by Kaohsiung American School. This brings to bear questions about the quality of the experience that will happen in online learning, but it does keep us moving forward right away. It is likely that one of these two options will be utilized. This means that it is likely that your students will still be home on Monday.

It is our intention to provide you more information on Thursday when we should hear more from the government regarding their recommendations.

Please stay safe and healthy during this challenging time.

Best regards,

Anthony Keen




Suzanne Pearson

Summer Camp Director

American School in Taichung