Dear AST Families and Friends,
This week, we have been very fortunate to have Mr. Dewi Hughes from Drama Arts Productions, UK here with us in Taichung to work on the physicality and voice of formal performance and presentation, in general, and specifically connected to Shakespearean drama. These skills connect strongly to our students as future business people, lawyers, doctors, leaders, and other professionals. The ability to stand before an audience with confidence and speak thoughtfully is one that we are continuously working to develop in our students. In addition, connecting the students to the physical place of the National Taichung Theatre further connects them to the community and the performing arts and elevates the importance of the work. We cherish these opportunities when we can create them for our students.
Three quick notes:
- Tomorrow, Saturday, January 19, there is no school and our offices are closed. (Some schools and offices are open tomorrow.)
- Report cards will be sent home digitally today. They are accessible via Alma and will be emailed home as well. If you would like a physical copy, please contact Ms. Claire. Thanks for not printing these unless it is necessary.
- MAPS data is being prepared and should be sent home next week.
Buses have become more crowded as our school has grown. This presents challenges and needs for a few reminders. Please remind our bus riders that AST buses are not a place for loud and boisterous outside play, but that volume levels should reflect indoor socialization. Many students utilize this bus time as a quiet time to study, read, or sleep and we should all be respectful of that preference. Another quick reminder for elementary school parents: Please wait for your child at the bus stop to sign them out.
Also related to buses, we have allowed students to change what bus they ride when they are traveling to a different location for the evening. This has been especially utilized on Friday evenings. To ensure that all students have seats on the bus, one-time bus changes must register with GAO beforehand. Riders may not show up on the buses after school and simply get on a different bus without preregistering. Seats on bus A, B, E and currently quite limited on Fridays. Additionally, we are looking into whether we can better balance the number of students on each bus to make more room on those rather full buses. If we do change bus routes, we will notify parents.
- Tea Time with the Directors at 1:30 pm on Friday, January 25th. Parents are also invited to stay for the Club Fair at 2:30 pm.
- International Carnival is on February 28 (2/28) and we look forward to celebrating cultures around the world and hosting everyone at AST.
Have a great week,