The school year has now fully started and the athletics season is fast approaching. We are happy to announce that many students signed up for a variety of sports this school year and that we will be running several teams this school year. We are all looking forward to many practices, games, and tournaments where we hope our student-athletes will find success both on and off of the fields and courts where they will be playing.
A few announcements for the athletics programs this year:
- In order to provide students with a more professional athletic space, this year we will be renting space at sports facilities in Taichung, for our student-athletes to practice. The majority of the expenses, including transportation, insurance, tournament fees, and coaches fees will be covered by the school. The students will only pay for the space that their team/club is using. The teams/clubs that this effect include the Soccer, Swimming, Ultimate Frisbee, and- Badminton teams. Effectively this means that there will be a practice space rental fee for those teams to cover.
- Chaoma Sports Center: The Soccer and Ultimate Frisbee teams will be practicing at Chaoma Sports Center. The address for Chaoma Sports Center is No. 145, Chaoma Road, Xitun District, Taichung City, 407 臺中市西屯區朝貴路199號. Students will take a direct sports bus to ChaoMa. Transportation home has to be arranged by parents from Chaoma.
- ZhonXin Badminton Club: The badminton club and team will be practicing at the ZhonXin Badminton Court (忠興羽球館). The address is No. 57, Jingxian South 1st Road, Beitun District, Taichung City, 406. Students will take C (and/or) D buses to the court. Students will be able to take the late bus home
- North District Civil Sports Center: The Swimming team will be practicing at the North District Sports Center. North District Civil Sports Center (北區運動中心). The address is No. 55, Section 1, Chongde Road, North District, Taichung City, 404 臺中市北區崇德路一段55號 (中正公園內). Students will take D bus- 2nd stop to the swimming pool, parents will pick students up at 5:20 p.m. from the North District Sports Center.
- Trial Period: The first two weeks of a sport season are considered a chance for students to try the sport out before committing to it for the season. The school will cover field fees and all of the other expenses for these two weeks. If a student does not wish to continue playing their selected sport they can remove themselves from the team roster within that two week time period by talking to their team coach. After these two weeks, students who attend will be asked to pay the sport fee and commit to the season practice. Fees for teams and how they are to be paid will be announced soon.
- Student Managers and Translators: We are looking for students to volunteer and act as translators and managers for specific teams. These students will need to act as translators for hired coaches that can only speak Chinese.Team Managers will need to help with the paperwork and keep statistics for their teams. Team managers and translators are considered part of the team and will need to attend practices, games, and tournaments. Students that would like to volunteer as translators and/or managers should speak to Mr. Melnychuk. We are currently looking for a manager for the soccer and girls volleyball teams and two translators for the girls volleyball teams.
- Parent Managers: We are also looking for parents to volunteers as parent manager for teams. These parents will need to assist in ensuring student-athletes have food and water during tournaments and assisting the coaches with logistics. Please talk to Mr Melnychuk and/or the GAO. We are currently looking for parent managers for all fall sports (Volleyball, Soccer, Ultimate, Badminton, and Swimming).
- Cross Country Race: It is mandatory for students that participate on the Junior Varsity or Varsity Basketball/Volleyball teams to participate in the Cross Country Race at AST as either a runner or volunteer on March 16th, 2019.
- Uniforms: Uniforms for teams will be provided by AST. The swim team will have to buy their own uniform (swim cap and bathing suit) for better fit and for personal use.
- Student-athletes for other sports will be expected to wear appropriate athletic wear for their sport (shorts, tshirts, cleats, knee pads, etc).
- Teams may still be added or folded dependent on student participation.
- Mr Melnychuk will be working with other school’s Athletic Directors to schedule friendly matches for teams. Stay tuned for announcements on these games and meets.
For the annual sports schedule, please click here.
We look forward to another great year and hope to see you at games supporting our student-athletes!
AST PE Teacher and Athletic Director