Full Directory Listing of Faculty and Staff
Extension no. #23
Extension no. #14
Extension no. #11
- Masters of Arts in Teaching, University of Southern California (USC)
- B.A. in Social Sciences, University of California, Irvine (UCI)
- Principal Administrative Certificate, State of Washington
- Multiple subject Credential with the Bilingual authorization (BCLAD)
- Single subject credential in Social Science and Chinese
I am an AST alumna. I have lived in California for over a decade and taught in both public and private schools in Los Angeles before returning to Taiwan. I joined AST in 2011 as an elementary teacher. AST is a place that has allowed me to grow professionally and became an assistant director in 2017. Outside of work, I enjoy swimming, scuba diving, traveling, playing with my one year old daughter and eating out with my friends and family. I’m looking forward to participating in a triathlon race with my husband this winter.
- A.A., Cottey College in Nevada, Missouri
- B.A. English, University of Arizona
- M. Sc. Modern British Literature, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
I joined AST in 2016. I am an English teacher and STUGO advisor at AST and my 26th year teaching. I have taught in Arizona, Alaska, and northeast China. I enjoy traveling with my family—husband Patrick, son Mac (age 21) and daughter Sedona (age 19)—as well as reading, journaling, systems thinking, and experiencing the life-changing magic of tidying up.
- Master of Education, University of Florida
- Concentrations: Curriculum & Instruction with ESOL specialty and TESOL Certificate
- Bachelor of Humanities and Social Sciences, Major in Foreign Languages and Applied Linguistics
- Certificate of proficiency in teaching Chinese as a second language
I was born and grew up in Taipei, Taiwan. After college, I moved to Florida to pursue my master degree. I taught ESOL and Mandarin in Gainesville and Miami for K-12 and college. I also started my own family there. After living happily in Florida for 7 years, we chose to move back to Taiwan because one of our parents was ill. We miss our home and friends in Florida, but we also feel blessed to relocate in Taichung and join AST family. In my time off, I enjoy traveling, reading, and watching movies. I’ve been to Canada, Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Italy, Japan, China, Costa Rica, and Russia.
Extension no. #16
Extension no. #29
- B.A. American History, University of Washington
- MBA, University of Washington
I worked for thirteen years with Seattle Public Schools as a Technology and Business instructor. While in Seattle, I started supporting Juniors and Seniors in making plans for life after High School, a role that I am continuing at AST. I am an active member of the National Association of College Admissions Counselors (NACAC) and the International Association of College Admissions Counselors (IACAC). I love living and working in Taichung.
- BA Recreation and Leisure studies (SF State University)
- AA Social and Behavioral Sciences (City College of San Francisco)
- CalStateTEACH- Teaching credential
Prior to Taiwan, I taught 3 years in Vietnam. I have been working with youth and the San Francisco Bay Area community for almost 20 years. I have directed summer camps, created programs, events, tutored, and taught subject related material as well as dance and sports for youth ages 3 to 20. I am an avid traveler and have traveled to almost 40 countries. In my spare time I enjoy reading, photography, dance, exercise, and scuba diving. I look forward to being a part of the AST team!
- Bachelor of Arts (Fine Arts, Museum Studies), University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, 1994
- Masters-Counseling and Human Services, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, double degree in School and Community Counseling Services, 1996
- Professional Licensure in School Counseling from the state of Colorado (through 2020).
I was ‘born and bred’ in Kentucky of a family who was rooted in the area since the 1600s!!! I was the first in my entire lineage to leave the area, and to then go on to visit 44 countries and live and work in 6 countries (United States, Germany, Syria, China, Saudi Arabia, and now Taiwan.) I’ve been a school counselor for 23-ish years (notice I did not tell you how old I was when I graduated!!!). I LOVE TAIWAN! I’m so happy I decided to come here, and I love the community here at school!
- Honours Bachelor of Arts: English and History, University of Toronto
- Bachelor of Education: Primary and Junior Divisions, University of Ottawa
- Additional Qualifications: English as a Second Language (Part 1), Special Education (Part 1)
My name is Elaine Yiu and I joined AST in 2016 as the Grade 1 teacher. I am excited to be part of the AST family and to be the lucky teacher who gets to be a part of our littlest students' first year of school! My teaching adventures have taken me from Canada to South Korea and now here to Taichung, Taiwan, since 2012. Outside of work, with my husband and our toddler son, we’ve enjoyed travelling and eating our way around Asia, Canada and Africa, and look forward to more adventures around the world!
- B.A. Sociology, University of Washington
- M.B.A., University of Washington
My previous career was in software development, particularly user needs analysis and user interface design. Prior to moving to Taichung I was a Group Program Manager at Microsoft for 15 years. I now teach psychology and computer science as well as cooking to high school and middle school students. I love reading, cooking, exploring new cultures, and spending time with my family and friends.
- B.S. Social Sciences, Jacksonville University
My primary passions in life are my family, teaching, surfing and playing soccer. I have lived in Florida, U.S.A. for most of my life, but I am enjoying and embracing Taiwan as my new home. I am a Florida State Certified Teacher in Social Sciences grades 6-12 and Earth and Space Science grades 6-12. I have received the Teacher of the Year award for 2014 at Yulee High School, and have had the honor to lead over 100 students on various study-trips to 6 different countries in Europe and Asia. My passion for teaching is only surpassed by the love for my family and my desire to learn.
- BS in Elementary Education, University of North Carolina, Greensboro
I joined AST in 2010 after teaching in Aomori, Japan for three years, teaching English as an Assistant Language Teacher, through the JET Programme. I have worked with a diverse population of teachers and students from various countries and cultures including the USA, Japan, Nepal, Cambodia and Taiwan. I am the co-founder, and Vice President of the Board of Directors, of Know My World, an educational non-profit that focuses on global education and social and emotional curriculum development. I am a certified yoga instructor and I teach yoga and mindfulness to the elementary students each morning. Teaching, traveling and connecting with people are things I am passionate about.
Extension no. #12
- Masters in Curriculum and Instruction, University of Texas at Arlington; Texas Certification
- Reading Specialist and ESOL Specialist Certification, Grade 1-12
- Bachelor of Social Work, Stephen F Austin State University, Texas
- B.S. in Elementary Education, Stephen F Austin State University, Texas
I was born in Texas and always dreamed of living overseas. I lived in Seoul, S. Korea for two years and am beginning my sixth year at AST. Previously I taught over ten years in the United States. I speak English and beginning Chinese. I enjoy reading, hiking, and volunteer work.
- B.A. in Sociology (University of California, Los Angeles)
- M.Ed. in Secondary Social Studies (The College of New Jersey)
- Secondary Teaching Certification (The College of New Jersey)
I hail from Los Angeles, California in the U.S., where I grew up enjoying sports of all kinds. Growing up in LA taught me to have a great love for sunshine, music, and movies. I have enjoyed a great life here in Taiwan since 2006, as I’m a big fan of the food and culture. AST is a great school, and I’m very excited to work with all the students here.
- B.A., Industrial Design, Shu-Deh University, Taiwan
- M.B.A., National Sun Yat-Sen University, Taiwan
- Certificate, Lecturer, Ministry of Education, Taiwan
- Certificate, Teaching Chinese as a Second Language, Taiwan
- Certificate, IEMBAE, UVIC, Canada
- Certificate, IMP, Limak Academy, Austria
I come from Taichung. I have taught at the National Taichung University of Science and Technology. Over the years, my teaching experience has allowed me to work with students of all ages and backgrounds. In my spare time, I enjoy cooking, traveling and hiking.
- Master’s Degree of Science in Curriculum and Instruction: Portland State University in Oregon.
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences, and a 5th year teaching credential: U.C. Berkeley
NCLB Designation of Highly Qualified Teacher
Valid teaching credentials from Oregon, Washington, California and Texas.
I have devoted my whole life to teaching and working with children. I have taught school for 46 years…38 of those years were in my own full-time classrooms, and eight were as a substitute teacher. I have taught in four different regions of the United States, in five different states, as well as five years here at AST in Taichung. Living and teaching overseas was a long-time dream. Experiencing that opportunity here in Taiwan ultimately is the capstone to my career in education. Oregon is where I call “home.” I enjoy reading, traveling, swimming and snorkeling, gardening, and spending time with my grandchildren.
- B.A. in Industrial Design from Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale
I was born and raised in Taichung but lived in America from 2001-2010. Throughout my teaching career, I have taught elementary students at a private art academy in Florida and English to kindergartners in Taichung. I have been teaching art and graphic design at AST since 2014. I am currently pursuing another degree in Elementary Art Education. In my free time, I enjoy reading, music, watching movies and playing basketball.
- B.S. National Taipei University of Education
- Certificate of Elementary School Teacher
- TESOL Certificate of Australia government
I grew up in Taichung. I am fluent in Chinese, conversational in English. I used to teach Chinese in public schools. I was also an ESL teacher in Washington Elementary School. This is my 14th year for teaching. I am still excited about it.
- PGCE English with Media and Drama, Lancaster University, U.K
- BA (Hons) Theatre Arts (Acting), The School of Theatre, Manchester Metropolitan University, U.K
I was born and raised in Blackpool, U.K. I joined the AST family in January, 2015. I am a fully-qualified teacher of both English and Drama and enjoy sharing my passion for these subjects with the Middle School. My other roles include MS coordinator and MUN coordinator. My interests include: Shakespeare, theatre, reading, netball and trivia quizzes.
- BA English University of Alabama at Birmingham
- ESOL Teaching Certification K-12
- TEFL certificate K-12
My name is Lauren Leach, and I am the Elementary School ESOL Specialist at AST. I am a certified ESOL teacher from the United States. My hometown is Gurley, a small town in the state of Alabama. This will be my 7th year working internationally as an ESOL instructor. I have been teaching at AST since 2017, but I have been living and teaching in Taichung for over 3 years. Before I moved to Taiwan, I was an English instructor in Busan, South Korea. I have also taught in the Czech Republic and the United States. I love being an ESOL Specialist at AST because it allows me a chance to work with all of the grades, from 1-5. I am looking forward to another exciting year at AST!
- B.S. psychobiology, UCLA
- M.Ed. science instruction, UCLA,
- California Single Subject Teaching Credential for Biological Science and Chemistry with English Learner Authorization
I am from Southern California and taught in LA for three years before moving to Taiwan. I joined AST in 2006. Although I teach mainly high school science (bio, chem, forensics, and AP bio), I also teach MS ICT, ES CF, and personal finance. I enjoy swimming, badminton, baking, and watching movies in my leisure time.
- B.A. in English and Psychology from UCLA
- M.Ed. in Secondary English from TCNJ; New Jersey Certification
I was born in the United States to parents of Taiwanese descent, growing up mainly in Southern California. I am fluent in English, conversational in Chinese, know a few words in Burmese, and have forgotten all of my high school French. I double-majored in English and Psychology at UCLA and then went into education. I have worked in Los Angeles, Hsinchu, Yangon, and now Taichung. My interests include reading, cooking, yoga, karate, and playing with my two year old daughter. I am married to Mr. McCool.
- B.S. Mathematics Education, University of South Florida
- M.A. Mathematics, University of South Florida
- PhD Mathematics, Florida Atlantic University
I was born in Puerto Rico and grew up in Orlando, Florida. I am fluent in English, Spanish, and food-related Chinese. I have worked in Florida, Estonia, Puerto Rico, China, and now Taiwan. In my time off, I enjoy reading, hiking, and watching TV.
- B.S. Biology, Santa Clara University, California
- M.B.A. University of California, Berkeley
- Teaching Certificate, The College of New Jersey
I was born in the Philippines, but I moved to the United States when I was two years old. Filipino (Tagalog) is my second language. I have been an elementary school teacher since 2009, having taught in China (Beijing), the Philippines (Manila), and Armenia (Yerevan). I have been a proud member of the AST faculty since 2016. I love being a grade 5 teacher! I always look forward to sharing with my students all the simple but effective things I practice to help conserve earth’s irreplaceable resources. Over the years, I have had the good fortune to visit cities in Australia, Europe, Africa, and Asia. But these days, I prefer to explore what’s in my own “backyard”, right here in Taichung and the rest of Taiwan. In my leisure time, I enjoy spending time with my family (my husband and two sons, one of which attends high school at AST), the company of friends, reading, cooking, patchwork, and hiking.
- Diploma of the Royal College of Music, London, UK
- Doctor of Education, University of Durham, UK
I was born in the city of Chester in North West England. As a child, I spent most of my time either riding my bike or playing the violin. Later, my violin playing took me to London to study at the Royal College of Music where, after graduating, I worked as a musician with various London orchestras. My teaching career began at the University of Cape Town and has continued in Taiwan, first at Taipei American School and more recently at AST. I still love riding bikes and anything to do with the violin.
- B.A. Comparative Literature, B.A. Spanish (University of Washington)
- MBA, Institute of Management of Technology, National Chiao Tung University (Hsinchu, Taiwan)
- M.Ed., The College of New Jersey, Certified in Secondary Language Arts
I was born in Seattle, Washington in the United States, and lived there until I was about 36 when I moved to Taiwan. I lived and worked as a teacher in Hsinchu for about 12 years, and left to get married and spend a year travelling in Southeast Asia. My wife, Lucy Hsu , and I settled down in Yangon, Myanmar where we had our first child, and after four years decided to return to Taiwan. It is good to be home.
- Education - Mesa Community College, Mesa, Arizona
Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona
I joined AST in 2016 and I am excited about teaching grade 8 and grade 9 science here. I am also lucky enough to be the Robotics club advisor and get to work with a great coach and bunch of enthusiastic middle and high school students. I met my wife Casady while we were both teaching in Arizona 23 years ago. We lived and worked in Alaska for 11 years and China for 6 years before moving to Taichung. When I am not teaching, I enjoy cooking, playing softball, reading, snowboarding and look forward to exploring the mountains and beaches of Taiwan.
Extension no. #13
Extension no. #21
- BA English, ESOL Certification The College of Charleston;
- M.Ed Secondary Education, The Citadel
- National Writing Project Fellow
I’m from Charleston, SC, but have lived in Lexington, VA; Denver, CO; Buffalo, NY; Alexandria, LA; the Philippines; Shanghai, China; and finally, in Taichung, TW. My career has included middle and high school English and ESOL- including all grade levels, from four-year-olds to graduating seniors. In addition to teaching, I have worked as a middle school teacher-coach but realized that I missed the kids, so I went back into teaching. My passion in life has been horses, and my first degree was an AS in Equine Studies. While horses have given me much joy, my son, JJ and his family are number one to me. I’m a nature lover, so cycling, hiking, paddle boarding, kayaking and most outdoor activities make me happy. I moved to Taiwan in December 2016, and it continues to be a great experience.
- B.A. in Herbal Sciences from Bastyr University in Bothell WA
- Masters In Teaching from St. Martins University in Lacey, WA.
- National Board Certified Teacher in EA Mathematics.
I moved here from Olympia, Washington USA with my husband and youngest son this summer (2018). I taught Mathematics at Timberline High School for the last 11 years. I am excited to be teaching MS Science and Environmental Science here at AST. I enjoy Swimming, hiking, and
being outdoors. I believe experience is the best teacher and mistakes are part of the process. Education is a journey to be traveled, so come in and let’s start exploring!
- B.A in Education
- M.B.A in Library Science
I am proud to be a Canadian, from the colorful prairies and freshwater lakes in the middle of Canada. A sense of wanting to explore the world led my husband and me to overseas work. After 35 years as a school librarian in Canada we have now enjoyed seven years of living in three Asian countries. I have a Bachelor of Education and a Masters in Library Science. I enjoy walking or cycling to school,swimming, crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles and of course, reading anything I can get my hands on. I eagerly anticipate another enjoyable year.
- BA in Philosophy, Christopher Newport University
- Teaching Certificate in Elementary education G1-G6, Teachnow
Hi I’m Taylor Sharp. I taught English for six years, and I have been at AST since 2016. This is my first year being a homeroom teacher! I’m excited to open students up to the worlds of social studies and science. In my freetime, I enjoy reading, swimming, and listening to podcasts. I also perform improv here in Taichung with the group Skits & Giggles.
- Layton School of the Arts
- Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree, University of Iowa
- K-12 Teaching Certificate in Art and Middle School Generalist, State of Iowa and Washington
- Master’s Degree in Whole Systems Design, Antioch University Seattle
- Doctorate in Art Education - Visual Semiosis, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic
My mother tells me I was born challenging the world, which started in Illinois and moved on to Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington State and Arizona before living in Greece, Italy, Japan, Tanzania, China, Czech Republic, Brazil, and now Taiwan. My nickname in Art School was ‘Tippitoes’ because I love to dance. I have always loved to draw, read, write, sing, dance, and otherwise express myself, sometimes loudly. I also enjoy cooking, hiking, storytelling, and being zany when in the right mood. Children and dogs are naturally drawn to me but I love cats, too. My mission as a teacher is to awaken the artist within and grow its potential. My next dream in life is to make children’s theatre. I love to make culture happen.
- B.S. Engineering, Harvey Mudd College
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Arizona
- Georgia Teaching Credential
Originally from Arizona, I have worked in the Aerospace, Computer and Semiconductor industries. Prior to my current position at AST, I have taught math and physics in Savannah, Georgia, and Kathmandu, Nepal.
- M.Ed. Curriculum and Planning Indiana Wesleyan University
- B.A. English (minor in History), Western Washington University
I was born in the USA, and moved to Taiwan when I was five years old. I went to Kindergarten at Morrison Academy in Taichung, and 1st grade at Taipei American School. I also attended Hong Kong International School for junior high school, and then spent my senior year at Taipei American School. After university, I was variously a librarian, a sawmill operator, an importer, an interior designer, and a few other things that I've now forgotten. I started teaching junior high in 2001 at Morrison Academy's Kaohsiung campus. I have been teaching junior high social studies and various electives at AST since 2011. I consider Taiwan home, and I enjoy cooking, travelling, and movies.
- Master of Education: Early Childhood Education, Georgia State University
- Middle Grades Mathematics
- Mathematics Endorsement
- ESOL Endorsement
- Bachelor of Arts: Psychology, Goucher College
您好！我是 Tisa Spinelli. I joined the AST family in 2016. Before coming to Taiwan, I taught in the Guangxi province of China and in Atlanta, Georgia. In our class we work hard to build a warm and accepting classroom community, that learns from one another. I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of your children's lives and share my love for Mathematics and education. Outside of the classroom I love to study Mandarin, explore, dance, and attend music festivals.
- BSc Financial Economics
- PGCE Secondary Mathematics
- MA International Cooperation, Health, and Peace
- MA Educational Leadership
- PGCert Mentoring and Coaching
- PGDip Social Science Research Methods
I was born in Italy and moved to London (UK) in 1999. I am a UK qualified Math Teacher and I started teaching in 2002. I have also taught Math in North Carolina (US) in 2004-5. In the UK, I have been Head of the Maths Dept, Vice Principal and part-time Acting Principal for one day a week. Classroom teaching is what really makes me happy and teaching at AST makes me super happy!
- B.A. in Psychology Universidad de Ibague. Colombia
- Florida State Certified Teacher in Spanish K-12
I am a passionate and dedicated teacher from the beautiful country of Colombia, I lived in United States for 14 years where I taught Spanish for 6 years. My family and I move to Taiwan in July 2017, and so far we are very happy exploring taiwanese culture end enjoying the beautiful people in this island. I love to travel around the world with my lovely husband and amazing 2 sons as well as learning from other cultures. In my free time, I enjoy going to the beach, hiking and cooking.
- B.A. Diplomacy, National ChengChi University
- M.A. Teaching Chinese as a Second Language, National Taiwan Normal University
- Certificate of proficiency in teaching Chinese as a second language --E0950071
I was born in and grew up in Taichung. I have worked at Hong Kong International School, Taipei American School and I joined AST in 2004. In my leisure time, I enjoy reading, hiking, biking, baking and watching movies.
- Bachelor and master degree in Sport Science from the German Sport University Cologne
- PE and English teaching degree for MS and HS
- PhD candidate in Sport Science at the National Taiwan Sport University in Linkou Certificate in Remedial PE
I am from Germany and studied at the premier Sport University in Cologne. I have been teaching ESL classes for the past 10 years and I am happy to be able to teach PE again. My passion in life has been martial arts and Chinese culture. I participated in international Tai Chi Chuan and Kung Fu competitions in Taiwan and abroad. I have been doing research in the field of Tai Chi Chuan and attention for my PhD degree. I enjoy traveling and be outdoors. I like to read fantasy books and novels, be with friends and try and explore new things.
- B.HK in Physical Education, Minor Arts in History from the University of British Columbia
- B.Ed in Secondary Physical Education and Secondary Social Studies from the University of British Columbia
I am from British Columbia, Canada. I attended the University of British Columbia and attained a Bachelors of Human Kinetics (Physical Education) with a Minor in Arts (History), along with a Bachelors of Education. I taught a variety of subjects, in Canada and in China. I was most recently teaching PE and teaching teachers in Shenzhen, China. Some of my personal accomplishments include trekking across Iceland, from the Caspian to the Black Sea, and to Everest Base Camp. I am also proud to have represented China on team China South playing Ultimate Frisbee at the Asian Oceanic Ultimate Club Championship. I am enthusiastic about sharing my athletic and outdoor interests with my students. Currently, I am working on completing a diploma in Outdoor Education.